Because I like making lists:
- Joe. He was my first kiss. He’s now engaged to be married. With marriage, he will become a stepfather to a boy. He’s as handsome, silly and courteous as the day I met him. I’m happy to know him and call him a friend.
- Jeff. When we dated, he was known to my family as The Tow-Truck Driver. He’s still driving for his job, but not tow trucks. As far as I know, he’s single. We plan to have coffee together soon to catch up.
- Cliff. He was my best friend while in J-School. I hate that I hurt him. He’s married now and has a son. We’re Facebook friends, but that’s about it.
- Stephen. He was my first boyfriend. He didn’t treat me well, so we don’t talk. However, he does reach out to me through the internet every 2-3 years. He’s asked me to give him a second chance, or go to a concert or whatever. I’m not interested.
- Alex. He was the first man I ever loved. I don’t see much of him anymore, but we’re both happy to know each other. He continues to impress me with his intelligence, creativity and sense of adventure. He’s in a committed relationship.
- Aaron. I had a crush on him for a long time before we started dating. Apparently, he had had a crush on me, too. Funny how that works out. As far as I know, he’s single. We’ve met up a few times in Seattle over the years to catch up. He can never make it to my parties because the bus system from Seattle to Everett is crap.
- Steven. My sister set me up with him. Oh, how my mom loved Steven! He’s very handsome and his family is wonderful. We tried to be friends after the breakup, but it didn’t work out. He’s married now.
- Amir. He was the first man I dated where we weren’t exclusive. It wasn’t any fun. Even though we realized we weren’t meant to be together, we agreed that our friendship was meaningful. He’s married now. We’re still good friends.
- Tyler. I’ll admit, I was falling in love with him when he broke it off with me. He moved to Virginia not too long after that. Before he left for the East Coast, we had one last day together. He also invited me to his going-away party. As far as I know, he’s single. We’re still friends on Facebook.
- Jim. At 6 feet 5 inches tall, he is the tallest man I’ve ever dated. Ours was a mutual breakup. He was my best friend for the better part of a year, even after we were no longer a couple. He’s single now. We don’t see much of each other, but we’re still friends. I met up with him in Edmonds not too long ago.
- Doug. Though he was my fifth boyfriend, ours was my first relationship where I loved and was loved in return. We broke up because I wanted to have kids and he didn’t want to have any more. He’s married now. As far as I know, he and his second wife have a child together. He doesn’t talk to me.
- Ivan. We have a fun how-we-met story. Though we dated for a short time, it was serious. He’s in a relationship now. We’re still good friends.
- Yoshi. After he broke up with me, I swore to myself I’d never date another 25-year-old again. We’ll see how that goes. I thought he was perfect for me. He told me he’d still like to be friends. So far, that just means Facebook friends.
This list is my way of reflecting on the men I’ve dated over the last 11 years. Sort of a where-are-we-now blog. Of note, there’s a difference between “dates” and “dating” to me. I dated these 13 men for at least a month. Joe may be the one exception because our dating timeline wasn’t clear.